Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I Like Fried Food. What Can I Say?


So, yesterday I was talking to Misty for the first time since I've been in New Zealand and of course we talk forever. At one point in our conversation Misty asks me if a McDonald's Big Mac tastes the same. I had not yet had a Big Mac but told her that I would investigate. Off to McD's I go and order a Big Mac Combo. The burger I think tastes the same but might have been a little smaller. The difference was in the fries. I'm not sure if the New Zealand population orders a ton of Filet O'Fish or if they use some type of fish oil to fry their fries, but the something was fishy about the fries. But being raised on fried foods as I was, I just added ketchup and kept on eating.

Continuing, one of my first days here I ate an Egg McMuffin. Here's what it looked like.


They don't have the scrambled eggs. Which was disturbing, but I guess the idea of having a real fried egg is more comforting.

Moving on to yet another intriguing story about a fast food chain in New Zealand. KFC: Kiwi for a Great Feed. I might actually be healthier living here just because Kiwis are so health conscious that even their fast food chains are health conscious. For example, the following was printed on the tray place mat: "Because we know that food quality is so important to Kiwis, our fresh chicken is coated on site, our buns are delivered piping hot from local bakeris, and our delicious salad ingredients are grown at local market gardens." It might just be smart propaganda but it sounds encouraging at least.

Bon Apetit!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, I would have died to see you snapping a picture of your Egg McMuffin in McDonalds. Funny.

Ah... I miss the Fast Food Dates.

Kitchen Fresh Chicken-ly Yours,

C

Anonymous said...

it may only in the US but McD's food is all made & shiped from a general location so no matter where you go it will always be the same. But I can remember McD's in Europe did not tast anything like the US so. Glad to know you are not having to give up some comfort foods.
love ya

Anonymous said...

awesome. utterly awesome. i would love to be there right now chowin' down some mcgrub with ya... well, maybe with the exception of the fish fries... i'm partial to foods that taste like fish to BE fish. meh
love to you my naughty wee monkey!

Anonymous said...

I personally love me a mcmuffin which always comes with an egg that's obviously been fried in a cookie cutter. White trash eggs benedict is what I really call it. And that's why it tases so good.

Miss you and your hats,
Emily