Sunday, February 05, 2006

Happy Waitangi Day!!!


So today, Monday February 6 is Waitangi Day. I've been waiting for the mail all day hoping to get the phone my mom sent so I could set up my vonage box and give all you people a phone call. However, with it being Waitangi Day, like most national holidays, there is no mail running today. BOO!!

Anyway, Waitangi Day commemorates the signing of a treaty at Waitangi on 6 February 1840 by a group of Maori chiefs and the British Government, represented by Lieutenant-Governor Hobson.

How did I celebrate Waitangi Day?


I watched the Super Bowl!!! I'm not much of a football fan but something about being away from the US made me feel like I should take part in a national past time on Waitangi Day. I did hear them say something about New Zealand during the broadcast. As I wasn't really that interested, I didn't hear what they were referencing. Also, it is very weird to watch the Super Bowl on a Monday and having it begin at 12:30pm.

This New Zealand livin' is still taking some getting used to.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Will, just wanted to say Hi! Mom was over the other day and mentioned that she hadn't checked out your blog in a while. Which worked out well, because I couldn't remember what you told us the address was! So, we skimmed through some of it. Today I went back and read everything. Now I'm totally caught up! Remember, you can check out the growth of our family at scalesmemories.blogspot.com