Wednesday, January 25, 2006

La Casa Mia

So, now comes the time to unveil my living conditions. A place where one resides is very important. If it stifles you it can affect everything. With that said, it's growing on me. The outside is a typical, charming, Christchurch house. On the inside, as I related to my family, reminds me of some of the places my friends called their college apartment. I don't think of myself to be Mr. Clean but I did spend 30 minutes cleaning up the cobwebs in my room. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have bugs everywhere. Christchurch is just very green and as a result has a lot of insects that love all the flowers. Also, the fact that they don't have A/C means to cool the house we open the windows for a breeze and allow a bit of those little critters in. Yeah, this definitely affects my American sentiment.

Anyway on to the tour! Here's my house!


Cute and Quaint, I know!

As you walk in the front door you would enter the living room.


Notice the nice sheets laid over all the furniture and the attractive centerpiece computer on the coffee table. Honestly, do I live a frat house? The room through the french doors at the back is the kitchen. Directly to the right of those doors in another door. That leads to my room. But first, let's visit the kitchen.


In this picture of the kitchen I am taking the pic from the bathroom. Which looks like...




Remember, that in New Zealand, bathroom means bath NOT toilet. Thus, there is no toilet in the bathroom.

Ok, Go back through the kitchen and you reach the back door.


Do you see that little building out there? That's the toilet!


Yes, I have a modern day outhouse complete with running water. I'm going to love those winter Christchurch days that I just need to go pee but I wouldn't dare step foot in the snow to actually do it.

Now that this particular trauma is over, let's go to my room.








I took four pictures so you can see how SMALL my room is. Good thing I did all my downsizing in the States because did you notice I have a clothes rack for a closet. That's so much fun. HAHA!!! It's really not too bad. I'm just living the college life I was intended to the first time through.

Well, I'm off to the World Busker Festival! Busker in New Zealand speak means Street Performer! My future awaits!

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I LOVE reading your blog, Will. Please keep updating it regularly 'cause it's always entertaining to read after a long day at work when I'm avoiding work, ya know?
Your living quarters are so quirky! I can't believe you're goign to have to wade outside to pee in bad weather.
Anyway, take care of yourself, and I'll talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

All I could think about while I was reading and absorbing the imagery was:

1) Baths are gross and I HATE holding the shower head while trying to suds up, its far too much work.
2) Where is the sink to wash your hands from using the toilet? If I'm not mistaken, the closest / most convenient sink on the way in from the outhouse would be the KITCHEN sink. That kind of grosses me out.
3) I would pee in the bath tub. Really. Run a little water and just pee. Walking OUTSIDE to pee? No thanks, New Zeland.
4) Loofahs must be a way of life down under. Yeah, us Americans ditched the loofahs once we realized how easily they get moldy. (also, does everyone share that ONE blue toothbrush?)
5) What is the blue tarp over the outhouse?

I hope there is a Marriott TownePlace Suites or Residence Inn close by...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU. A lot. I hope you are having the time of your life in New Zealand .. I will have to come and visit you - LA is a short ... er... ok, long ways away. But still, it will happen . ;)

keep me posted !

lots of love
Melanie

Anonymous said...

I would have never considered our house big, but compaired to this Whoo! Kali said "that house lookes really little" I think I have to agree with Jennifer in talking about the acomadation of your new living space. Well at least you will have to keep everything organized I dont think you will have a choice. I would be finding an electric heater for the cold winters in the pottie room and I would buy some hand sanitizer wash or wipes or something to that effect.
Love ya
Sami