Sunday, July 13, 2008

Is America Elvis or is Elvis America?



When it comes to being American not many things rank up there with Apple Pie, Fourth of July, and Baseball, but this past weekend I went to a preliminary competition to decide this year's best Elvis impersonator. It made me realize that Elvis, the man, as well as the legend are all very American. Weird I know but this whole thought came rushing into my head when there was one contestant that hailed from across the pond in Wales, United Kingdom.

I think it would be fair to say that this gentleman was by far the worst contestant in the bunch. Couldn't get the accent and even when choosing his outfits, he just missed the mark. For instance, for his first performance he dressed as Elvis from what I'm guessing is a lesser known one of western films. Ok, when you think of Elvis do you think of bright red slacks and and white western shirt with red shoulders? Yeah neither do I.

This whole bizarre experience made me think that maybe Elvis is so American that maybe other places just do not quite understand it.

Before I get too carried away, I think it has to be said that I am not by any stretch of the imagination an Elvis fan. I think his story and his drama are fascinating but I could not name a single movie he starred in nor could I sing more than the chorus to any of his songs. However, I do know the lip snarl, the shaking hips, the bouffant hair, he liked to eat fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and the quotes "Thank you. Thank you very much" and "Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis has left the building."

Also, one of my most favorite memories is walking down the Las Vegas Strip on New Year's and passing by the Bellagio Fountains and having them start dancing to "Viva Las Vegas" and hear the hoards of party revelers roar with excitement for a song that helped immortalize the city as well as the singer.



When these are the foremost indicators in your mind about a person, I think it is fair to say that their icon status is more than legendary. It's cosmic.

So it is just fine to let people across the world have their stab at impersonating him, but you should all be warned that unless you have some deep connection to the crazy intense patriotism of the U.S., you two will probably not get your Elvis impersonation quite right. After all, what's more American than swirling your leather clad hips from a poor upbringing in Tupelo, MS to a mansion called Graceland and commander of the title, The King of Rock n' Roll?

Which brings me to another question. What is it in that Mississippi water to produce the likes of both Elvis and Oprah?

No comments: